What Was the Founding Fathers’ Intent?
In 1782, the Congress of the United States voted this resolution, “The Congress of the United States recommends and approves the Holy Bible for use in all schools.” (*) Did you just read that? Read it again. This group that supposedly did not want God to have anything to do with public life or any government paid-for facility voted that the Bible was very good to be used in schools. In fact, did you know that one of the first acts of the Continental Congress, after they signed the Declaration of Independence, was to order 25,000 Bibles from Europe to pass out to the people of America? I doubt if you heard that in school.
“All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God[a] may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.” (2 Timothy 3:16-17; NIV)
Give Him 15 minutes in prayer:
- Declare, “The Bible will be welcomed in schools once again.”
- Identificationally repent for the actions our Courts and education administrators have taken to ban the Bible in the school system.
- Encourage your children to take their Bibles to school to read in free reading time. Get young ones Bible story books to read.
- Ask your school librarians to add Christian literature to the bookshelves. If there are any books on other religions, humanism, magic, etc., that is the open door for your request.
- If you are college-aged, insert Bible quotes, stories, examples, and concepts into the papers you write and reports you present.
- If you are a teacher, take your own Bible to school and read it in your own free time. Start a Bible study with other teachers. It is not against the law or the Constitution. It just makes some people around you nervous.
- Intercede for a fresh wind of Bible-welcomeness in your local schools.
A prayer you can pray:
Lord, I declare, “The Bible will be welcomed in schools once again.” Forgive our judges and the administrators of our educational system for their ban on Bibles. This is not how America was founded. Your Word was so welcome for at least 150 years. Why should just a few people who don’t know You or understand the transforming power of Your Word decide to eliminate it from our schools? I will determine to be a voice for its re-insertion into the school system by encouraging students from the youngest to the oldest to take their Bibles to school. They should read them, quote them in papers and reports, and live according to its principles. Give teachers the boldness to study the Word in their free time at school, separately and together. Make those around them curious and hungry to see what that’s all about, Holy Spirit. Let our witness be filled with love and grace. Let Your holy wind blow over Your Word and perform it through Your Church in the schools, Jesus. Amen.
America will once again honor the Word of God!
* Quote from “America’s God and Country.” Learn more here.