The trial to impeach President Donald J. Trump began yesterday with much drama and political division. After shutting Republicans almost completely out of the impeachment proceedings in the U.S. House, Democrats are now strongly advocating to control the process in the Senate. Here are some facts:
- House Democrats want additional evidence and witnesses heard during the Senate trial. However, that is not how the process is supposed to work. Acting as a Grand Jury of sorts, the House was to gather all evidence and present it to the Senate, who is supposed to listen to evidence and arguments supporting the Articles and vote. House leadership prevented President Trump and his team from presenting any evidence or witnesses in his defense prior to the impeachment vote in the House. How is that just? Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has allowed evidence gathered to be presented and nothing more. Democrats are taking issue with that.
- Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell wants a quick trial where the evidence the Articles of Impeachment were based on is presented, then a vote taken. He wants to follow the trial outline from the impeachment trial of President Clinton. He described the rules as to, “put fairness, evenhandedness and historical precedent ahead of partisan passions.”After significant pushback by the Democrats and some Republicans, he has given both sides 24 hours to make their case over 3 days.
Regardless of how the rules are finally established, this will turn out to be one of the most politically vicious processes we have ever seen. Make no mistake, this is a battle for the soul of America, not just a trial to impeach a U.S. president. Ekklesia, your prayers are needed. This is a shift point in our nation’s history.
“When justice is done, it is a joy to the righteous but terror to evildoers.” (Proverbs 21:15; ESV)
“The first to speak in court sounds right— until the cross-examination begins.” (Proverbs 18:17; NLT)
Give Him 15 minutes in prayer:
- Consider Matthew 7:3-5 (TLV) in light of the impeachment process to date, “Why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the beam in your own eye? Or how will you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ and look, the beam is in your own eye? Hypocrite, first take the beam out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye.”
- Sit and consider the full weight of the impeachment of a president of the United States of America. Consider how other nations view it. Consider how our nation’s enemies view it. Let the soberness hit you.
- Decree adequate, skillful, and just defense for President Trump. Pray that truth would be exposed, no matter what. There can’t be any questions at the end of this trial.
- Declare, “The first to speak in court sounds right— until the cross-examination begins.”
- Pray for justice to correct history in the end.
- Pray every day throughout the trials until we have a clear and unquestionable verdict when this is over.
A prayer you can pray:
Lord, people have a tendency to cover up or minimize their own sin, while enlarging and magnifying others’. When we have made an enemy of someone, or we just really don’t like them, we can really see them through a dark lens. We also try to make everyone else see them that way, as well. You always see from a position of justice. You look on the heart and You test the motives, even though You know the facts. The left has developed a strong narrative over the last 3 years. They have done everything they can to make that narrative be true. When one thing didn’t work, they tried something else. Now, we are at the point of impeachment of our duly elected U.S. president.
So, Lord, now we ask that President Donald J. Trump will be adequately defended. We pray for his legal team to be given equal time and bring forth truth. If the cross-examination and facts they bring show that the president is truly guilty, then so be it. But if an underlying motive is discovered and unfairness is uncovered, then let the record forever stand. Reverse the effect of the red-letters “Impeachment” over President Trump and let him be fully exonerated, if that is indeed the case. Let his accusers face the right penalty for their actions if they have been false accusers. We ask for justice for this man and for this nation. True justice, and we will not be afraid of the consequences. Thank You, Jesus, for bringing truth to this country. Amen.
Let justice be done in the impeachment trials in such a manner that the righteous rejoice and the wicked are undone!