400th Anniversary of the First American Legislature
“On this day in 1619, statesmen from the Colony of Virginia gathered in Jamestown as the first deliberative body in what would become the United States of America. Four hundred years later, the same sense of representative democracy that motivated these statesmen continues to drive our Nation forward and ensures that America is a beacon of hope and opportunity for all.
“Known as ‘the oldest continuous law-making body in the New World,’ the House of Burgesses, now known as the Virginia General Assembly, was formed as a unicameral body of individuals elected by settlements throughout the colony who served alongside people appointed by the Virginia Company of London. The Burgesses came from a variety of backgrounds—soldiers, clergymen, farmers, and planters. They were united in their cause for a better future for the brave settlers who had crossed the Atlantic for God and Country and for their descendants. From modest beginnings, the first legislative assembly in America would usher in a new era of government that derives its power from the consent of the people.
“Four centuries later, the great American Experiment of democratic principles that began in Jamestown continues to thrive. From local city councils and State capitols to the halls of Congress, legislative bodies across our country continue to deliberate and represent the will of the people. Today, we recognize the pioneering and unrelenting spirit of Jamestown, which has shaped the character of our Nation, and we celebrate the abundant blessings of freedom we continue to protect and cherish.
“May God bless the United States of America.” (President Donald J. Trump)
“The king’s heart is a stream of water in the hand of the Lord; he turns it wherever he will.” (Proverbs 21:1; ESV)
Give Him 15 minutes in prayer:
- Thank the Lord that He has given us a President that honors Him.
- Bless President Trump for acknowledging God in so much of what he does and in the speeches he presents.
- Thank the Father that our nation’s governmental structure was founded on biblical principles and that clergy participated, even led the way, in the formation of our government.
- Intercede for the continued freedom that our representative form of government affords this nation. It has formed the character of the nation and, while imperfect, it is a blessing to the whole earth.
- Ask the Lord to preserve our government, which includes the consent of the people. It is under serious threat in this generation. Upcoming generations lack even more understanding of government structures, and socialism looks good to them.
A prayer you can pray:
Father, thank You for giving us a President that openly honors You. He doesn’t care what anyone thinks. He surrounds himself with Your people to advise him. We bless him for honoring Your Name. Thank you for this amazing nation President Trump is currently leading. It really is the greatest nation on earth. Lord, we long for it to remain as a nation that makes You famous in the earth. Forgive us our sin and give us many more years for the Gospel to go forth from these shores. Preserve our representative form of government, which helps to give us the freedom to spread the Gospel message and expand Your Kingdom. Please never let other forms of government, such as socialism, infiltrate our populace and remove the consent of the people. Forgive us when we even entertain such thoughts, for the limitations of the will of the people ultimately mean limitations on Believers. Thank you, Jesus, for this day to remember the blessed and wise governing structure you have given America. Amen.
May the government of freedom God has given the United States of America be sustained by Him!