Getting Ahead of the Enemy – Offense, Part 10
If you’re offendable, God wants you to know that. He doesn’t deal with everything in our hearts all at once. He waits for a certain time. We also know that He deals with baby Christians one way and mature Believers another way. He raises the standard as we grow up in Him. Regardless, I can tell you that He knows how to push our buttons. If there’s something offendable in you, He wants you to know. It is His mercy to show you. He gets ahead of what the enemy will mean to kill or destroy your life or character at an inopportune time. I’ll be frank with you, I have failed the Lord’s setups. I’ve failed, because I hate to be falsely accused. The Lord will keep faithfully coming to deal with this area of my heart until I finally overcome and, finally, do not pick up that offense. When He allows these tests, He is causing us to learn Hs principles of turning the other cheek, and blessing those who hurt us and despitefully use us.
You know, people living at the time Jesus came thought that He was going to come and overthrow Roman rule and set up a Kingdom. That’s what John the Baptist, thought. Then, Jesus left him in prison with the rats. John finally had enough. If you read between the lines, you’ll see that John was getting offended at Jesus. He sent his disciples to say, “Are you the One or should we look for another?” Basically, John was saying, “I thought I knew who you were. Now, I’m not so sure.” Remember, John was filled with the Spirit in his mother’s womb. He was the forerunner of the Christ and he knew he was the forerunner. He saw the dove descend on Jesus. He knew He was the One. Yet, even he could pick up an offense.
“But I tell you not to oppose an evil person. If someone slaps you on your right cheek, turn your other cheek to him as well.” (Matthew 5:39; GWT)
“Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.” (Luke 6:28; KJV)
Give Him 15 minutes in prayer:
- Thank the Lord that He sets up situations where your heart is tested to see if you are offendable. Praise Him that He does this before the devil can!
- Are you struggling with some situation in your life where you are wondering why God isn’t “being God” in your life? Are you wondering, like John, “Are You God or not?” Or are you quietly asking, “Where are You God?” Realize that this is a test. He will help you pass it.
- Bless those who are persecuting and using you.
- Intercede with all your heart for those who are offending you.
- Are you offended at anyone on the national stage? Is there a government leader or media personality who offends you to the point that you can’t stand to even see their name or hear their voice? Pray for them. The enemy may be trying to destroy their life and keep them from Jesus.
A prayer you can pray:
Lord, thank You! Thank You for offending me on purpose! I never thought I would be grateful for this, but today I have the revelation that You are getting ahead of the devil’s plan. He wants to cause us to stumble, become offended, and ultimately become bitter. Satan is working overtime to sow offense everywhere he can, dividing families, the Church, end even the nation. Offense is so wicked. It comes in a tiny seed form that sprouts into division and hate. It is so hard to undo its fruit! (Intercede here for those offending you, even national figures. Intercede for those personally persecuting you or unfairly treating you.) Holy Spirit, forgive them. They really don’t know what they’re doing. I release them from my judgement and I ask You to bring unity into this nation. Amen.
God is allowing lessons of offense in our lives, so the enemy cannot use offense to further divide our nation!