A Providential Kettle
“In spite of the danger, my enslaved family members would sneak into a barn late at night while everyone else was asleep, making sure their prayer meetings were never seen or heard. As they carefully opened the door, they eased into the barn, carrying the black cast-iron kettle. Once inside, they turned the kettle upside down, so the opening was on the dirt floor of the barn; then they placed rocks under the rim of the kettle to prop it up… They would lie on the ground, prostrate around the kettle, with their mouths close to the opening. The kettle would then muffle their voices as they prayed softly through the night.” (Will Ford in The Dream King)1
“The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me; your steadfast love, O Lord, endures forever. Do not forsake the work of your hands.” (Psalm 138:8; ESV)
Give Him 15 minutes in prayer:
- Try to imagine the desperation of the slaves that were the forefathers and mothers of many African Americans living today, including Will Ford. If you have stories of praying for deliverance passed down in your family, ponder them.
- Thank the Lord for ending slavery in America, but also acknowledge that generational pain is not yet healed.
- Ask God to work miracles, as this generation prays and acts, to deliver this nation from all of the effects of racism on our culture.
- Determine to love others as you want to be loved, regardless of race.
- Pray for the freedom of those trapped in modern-day slavery—human trafficking and sex trafficking.
A prayer you can pray:
Father, thank you for Will Ford sharing his story and the stories his family passed down, so we can understand the heartache and faith of former American slaves. Many of our Black brothers and sisters are still treated as inferior today, and this needs to stop! Just as Will’s family put their hope and trust in You to set them free, Lord, we put our hope in you to end the conflict between races in America today. We know the racial divides in the U.S. are not completely healed yet. This has to happen one heart at a time. Stir us to intercede and take action to come together across the races to see this injustice fully end in our nation. As we pray, set those free who are trapped in modern-day slavery, in human trafficking and sex trafficking. Thank you, Jesus. Amen.
I decree an end to racism in America in my generation!
1 Will Ford and Matt Lockett. The Dream King. New Type Publishing, 2018. Pg. 27.
Purchase “The Dream King” here.