The Roots of American Education
106 of the first 108 colleges in America were founded on the Christian faith. Students at Harvard and Yale were required to read the Bible twice a day. Harvard’s founders said, “All knowledge without Christ is vain.” Harvard’s motto was, “For Christ and the Church.” Yale founders said, “Every student shall consider that the main end of his study is to know God and Jesus Christ.” Princeton’s motto was, “Under God’s power, she flourishes.” The great evangelist, Jonathan Edwards (the “sinners in the hands of an angry God” guy), was the third president of Princeton. The first president of Princeton, Jonathan Dickinson, said, “Cursed be all learning that is contrary to the cross of Christ.”
“For God has already placed Jesus Christ as the one and only foundation, and no other foundation can be laid.” (1 Corinthians 3:11; GNT)
Give Him 15 minutes in prayer:
- Let a grief rise up within you as you consider the condition of our formerly Christian colleges, which are so secular today.
- Pray that every college and university with Christian roots would experience a turnaround.
- Intercede for the professors and those on the governing boards of Harvard, Yale and Princeton. Call for them to receive a revelation of their school’s roots and that God would reveal Himself to them in a glorious, life-changing way.
- Intercede for the students in these schools to discover the truth about Jesus right on their campuses in waves of Holy Ghost outpourings.
- If you’re in a college, find out if the roots were Christian and call the school to return to its roots.
- Declare that the Word of God will once again be a welcome and foundational text taught in our nation’s educational system.
A prayer you can pray:
Lord, give me Your heart for the educational system of America. It is so liberal in most schools that You are locked out and clearly unwelcome. Let revival come to our colleges and universities! Turn them around and let them return to their roots! Let the professors of our nation’s major universities receive a revelation of who You are that bypasses their mind. Or, convince them, Jesus, as only You can. Let multitudes of students find Christ on these campuses and start Bible studies and prayer groups there. I declare that the Word of God will once again be a welcome and foundational text taught in our nation’s educational system. Jesus, be honored in our schools! Amen.
I decree that America’s education system is going to return to its godly roots!